MONOGRAPH is a reading circle for art lovers. Founded by curator Sophia Cai and artist Charlotte Watson in 2016, MONOGRAPH is free to attend and held every two months at Kathleen Syme Library in Melbourne’s inner north.
Unlike a formal book club where participants read the same book, MONOGRAPH is a reading group where each member discuss recent titles they have read, that have inspired them and their creative practice. There is no set genre, and we discuss everything from fiction, poetry, comics, art periodicals, to Ai Weiwei’s twitter feed.
To join the MONOGRAPH mailing list and to stay informed of upcoming sessions, please get in touch. All art lovers are welcome to attend, but RSVPs are essential as spots are limited.
MONOGRAPH Special Sessions
MONOGRAPH also hosts special sessions with guest speakers and featured books, covering areas of art, criticism, design and craft. Additionally MONOGRAPH has also appeared at other arts events. Our special sessions include:
- Guest author: American art critic Ben Davis, author of 9.5 Theses on Art and Class
- MCA Zine Fair 2016 at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney
- Craft Cubed 2016 with special guests Ramona Barry and Beck Jobson
- NGV Art Book Fair 2017 as part of the Endless Book Club with Self Publish, Be Happy
- Full day program at Verge Gallery, Sydney including a standard reading circle session, a book swap, and a panel with guest speakers Glenn Barkley, Astrid Lorange, Noel McKenna and Emily Parsons-Lord.